Stop nagging kids about homework!

Parent blog: Stop nagging kids about homework

Written by on Sep 13th, 2012. | Copyright © EdNewsColorado.org
Julie Poppen is a journalist, an editor and writer for Education News Colorado and the mother of a fifth-grader, who grumbled about homework before going to bed last night.
In case you haven’t already figured out that nagging doesn’t work on kids, consider new findings from researchers at the University of Northern Colorado.
The study, by assistant professor of school psychology John Mark Froiland and doctoral student Aubrey Peterson, found that it’s far more effective to set positive expectations than to enter into a battle of wills. Not only that, parents who set the expectation that their kindergartener will ultimately succeed in college also set the stage for higher scores for that same child in math, reading and science in eighth grade.
The results were published in an article in School Psychology International, one of the leading educational psychology journals.
So, how do you set high expectations?
Reading to young children, expressing hopes that they do well in school and encouraging them to learn to help others are effective ways to set expectations and support academic success, researchers say.
Froiland and Peterson, along with a University of Minnesota colleague, analyzed data involving more than 7,600 parents and children nationwide in concluding that parent expectations had a stronger effect on achievement than various forms of home-based parental involvement, including checking on grades and homework.
Froiland offers these tips for parents to set expectations and support their children’s academic success.

Tips for homework success

  • Read to children ages 2 to 5 every day. Explain the meaning of vocabulary words and frequently visit the library together.
  • Express your hopes, from preschool to young adulthood, that your children will do well in school and pursue the highest degree they’re capable of.
  • Point them to the deeper purposes in learning – one of the greatest is to help others – throughout life.
  • Don’t continually harp on them about grades and homework. In middle school and high school, children often struggle with their independence and may perceive questions such as, “Don’t you think you should go study right now?” as controlling.
  • Don’t emphasize grades and other rewards so much that children lose sight of the real value of learning.
  • Don’t allow your children to associate you solely with pressure and demands. It’s important to keep the relationship strong by spending time with your children doing something pleasant. Show unconditional love so that they know that they are accepted by you regardless of how well they perform in school.
So there you go, folks. This should mark the end of your homework battles. (One can dream…) Let us know how you manage homework in your household and whether the strategy is working.

4 comments:

  1. Physical therapy education prepare people to work with patients who have physical pain or limitations good website for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome article a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this useful data. I will visit your web journal consistently for some most recent post. connect core concepts in health brief 14th edition

    ReplyDelete